Monday, July 23, 2012

Resurrection!

So, this blog kinda died before it ever even took off. I don't think I've even looked at it in the last two years!
I'll go ahead and leave the last few posts here for posterity's sake, in case I want to laugh at my old college self. In the meantime, let's see if I can't make something worthwhile out of this thing!

For starters, I'll go ahead and post some links to some of my favorite time-wasters: webcomics!

Of course one has to mention xkcd when talking about webcomics. It requires a real Renaissance Man to understand every single comic, but though it may occasionally sail over your head, it's always entertaining, and often oddly informative!

Wondermark is an absurd comic created from images cobbled together from images taken out of old (pre-1900's?) publications. It kinda reminds me of the silly old pictures they put on the sides of the grocery bags at Trader Joe's.

If you're a gaming nerd, Katie Tiedrich of Awkward Zombie has you covered. Probably not all that entertaining to someone who wouldn't get the references, but an absolute riot to anyone who grew up with a Nintendo!

 If you are more of a history & literature buff (and don't mind some random absurdist stuff in between), then Hark! A Vagrant is for you. Even if some of the jokes sail over your head though, the author Kate Beaton is usually kind enough to explain it to you below the panels.

The Abominable Charles Christopher is about a dimwitted yeti named Charles Christopher and the assorted woodlands residents he meets throughout his bumbling travels. Generally silly, always sweet, and sometimes just a little bit sad, this is one of the more endearing webcomics you'll find out there.

If you're looking for more of a frenetic, fast-paced adventure, the crew of the Lackadaisy speakeasy delivers! Featuring cartoon cats smuggling spirits during the Prohibition Era, I would compare this webcomic to Disney's Robin Hood.

That's all for now! There's several more comics I'm following that are really good, but webcomics have a frustrating habit of going on permanent "hiatus" right in the middle of a story, so I've picked comics that are either weekly non-story-focused comics or stories written by authors who seem dedicated enough to not just up and leave the comic.

No comments:

Post a Comment